A Mother's love is something that no one can explain,
It is made of deep devotion and of sacrifice and pain,
It is endless and unselfish and enduring come what may
For nothing can destroy it or take that love away . . .
It is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
And it never fails or falters even though the heart is breaking . . .
It believes beyond believing when the world around condemns,
And it glows with all the beauty of the rarest, brightest gems . . .
It is far beyond defining, it defies all explanation,
And it still remains a secret like the mysteries of creation . . .
A many splendoured miracle man cannot understand
And another wondrous evidence of God's tender guiding hand.
by Helen Steiner Rise
Well, Mother's Day is a nice chance to think about our dearest moms and show our gratitude for their patience, forgiveness and prayers. A great part of what we are is brought up by mothers. This year all Americans are going to celebrate this sweet holiday on May 9. It's time to think about the celebration. Do you know how you are going to celebrate this day? If not yet there is a list of ideas how to please your mom:
- Make a breakfast. Breakfast is a starting point of the whole day, so in order to create a good mood for the whole holiday it is offered to cook a breakfast. Even though you do not consider yourself to be a cookery specialist, the main thing here is not the dainty dishes but your care and efforts. Make a cup of coffee and a sandwich or fry flapjacks, cook what you can. Remember, your mother will surely love the meal if you serve it with flowers:)
- Postcard. Though there is a heap of sweet postcards with most pleasant poems and words it is suggested to make a handmade postcard. You may do it with your children for them to give it to their granny. Write the words of gratitude there but let them to be personal like "Thank you for being so patient to me even when I broke your single vase that the father brought you from Cuba". There is a nice chance for you both to look back at the past and laugh at it.
- Party. If you have brothers and/or sisters it would be great for all of you to meet together. You may organize (you but not your mother, this is her day today!) a kind of barbecue on your mother's backyard, play games and recollect the days of your childhood together. Surely, there were a lot of funny situations.
- Flowers. Carnations are considered to be the symbol of Mother's Day. It was Anna Jarvis who brought 500 carnations for the first celebration of this holiday in 1908. Well, 500 could be too many, but a bunch would be just great. You may buy red carnations - they are beautiful - or any other flowers in case your mother doesn't like them.
- Present. What a holiday is without the present! Probably, you know the thing your mother is dreaming about like an ancient brass coffee mill or a handmade patchwork quilt or a new vacuum cleaner or a china tea-set, etc. Then buy it. If you don't know exactly think about the present she will surely like. For example, most women love jewelry, if your mother is not an exception you may choose a nice ring or earrings for her. Diamond jewelry could be a nice gift with symbolic meaning like a fadeless and durable diamond gem is a symbol of everlasting love and nothing could break it.
You are welcome to leave your comments and tell how you celebrate this holiday.